Many of us find getting a good nights sleep a struggle. There are lots of essential oil blends that can help aid sleep or just help to relax and calm you.
We’ve made this gentle creamy balm from a blend of natural butters, oils and wax. Gentle coconut oil is ideal for all skin types including dry, itchy and sensitive skins, nourishing shea butter moisturises and jojoba wax. Of all of the compounds in nature, jojoba wax ester (basis of both jojoba oil and wax) is the most similar to human skin oil (sebum). It is theorised that applying jojoba to the skin can trick the skin into thinking it is producing enough oil, thus balancing oil production, it is also a great vegan alternative to beeswax, making this a vegan recipe.
Essential Oil Blend
Lavender 40/42 (this lavender essential oil is mainly lavendula angustifolia but you can use whichever is your favourite Lavender oil). Lavendula Angustifolia has a sweet, floral and slightly herbal scent. It is well known for relaxing and soothing and can be helpful in reducing stress and high blood pressure.
Frankincense The resin contains high levels of soothing aromatherapeutic compounds which have been found to enhance comfort in our bodies and joints, as an essential oil, passes these properties to us. Frankincense is among the most widely used of all essential oils. It is revered for its powerfully uplifting and clarifying effects for the body and mind.
Vetivert (vetiver) essential oil has a wonderful effect on the mind and body and is said to dispel irritability and anger. It has an attractive earthy smell and is used in many cosmetics to reduce wrinkles and stretch marks while nourishing and moisturising the skin and helping wounds heal.
- Weighing scales
- Heatproof jug or bowl
- Suitable containers ( we used 30ml Aluminium Screw-Top Tin)
- 45g Solid Coconut Oil
- 40g Shea Butter
- 30g Jojoba Wax
- 5-6 drops of Essential Oils, (we used 2 drops Lavender 40/42, 2 drops Frankincense and 1drop Vetivert)
- Weigh out the oils and wax and place into a heat proof bowl or jug
- Place bowl over a saucepan of hot water and gently heat until all have melted.
- Once melted, remove from the heat, add essential oils, mix well
- (you may find the essential oils cause the melted oils to solidify, don’t worry, just give it a stir and they should melt again)
- Pour into suitable containers, leave to cool and then add a lid.
We filled 3 tins with this calming balm, which is perfect. One on the bedside table to ensure a good nights sleep. One to go in the handbag for emergency stress relief and one for the office desk drawer (just in case!)
The balm is quite soft and buttery and melts into the skin easily. Rub into temples, wrists or wherever you fancy.
If you prefer a more solid balm increase the amount of wax and decrease the amount of coconut oil.